Five Ways to Get Your Child to Choose Water over Sugary Drinks
Encouraging your child to choose water over sugary drinks can be a tough sell. Check out these five ideas on how to make water a more popular choice for your kids.
- Offer water as a refreshing drink when your kids come in from playing outside. Not only will it keep them hydrated, but it will help them associate being thirsty with reaching for water, not a sugary drink. Parents.com
- Make water the only self-serve drink available in your house. Keep a water pitcher or water bottles towards the bottom of the refrigerator and encourage your kids to help themselves. Keep sugary beverages out of their reach or out of the house all together. More opportunities to drink water will reinforce it as the best choice. Parenting.com
- Add water to their favorite juices. If your child likes sweet beverages but not the taste of water, consider offering juice diluted with water or water with a flavoring like Crystal Light. Over time, add less juice or flavoring. Your child will gradually adjust to the taste.
- Keep offering water. Studies show that it takes up to ten times tasting something for taste buds to “decide” if they like a food or not. Keep trying and you may find your picky eater or drinker has a change of heart. It works with broccoli and with water!
- Make water fun with novelty ice trays or crazy straws. Using a colorful straw or adding ice in unique shapes like animals or stars can be all it takes to get your child excited about a tall glass of H2O.